Saturday, September 10, 2011

As Everlasting as Chatterbox may be, Life gets in the way.

So, I am now a college student.

Huzzah, right? ^^

But this meant that all summer I was freaking out about THAT instead of properly gaming. Shame, shame me.

So I'll just talk about Portal! Whoever hasn't played it or heard of it (though you must honestly live under a bigger rock than I do, since even I know this game) the concept is such: you're a test subject in a laboratory facility. You're guided by a computer's voice. Most of the time, at least. Her name is GLaDOS, and she's kind of a sadistic bitch, but that's an entirely different story. After a few simple-ish puzzles, you are handed what is known as the Portal gun, which is a device that shoots two portals: orange and blue. Using those portals, you have to get through the rooms of the testing facility.

Sounds simple, right?

(Well, actually, depending on how many puzzle games you've previously played and how developed your logical thinking is, it may be. But for some people it's complicated, I promise!)

Complicated or not, the game is fun. You get portals, you get Portal physics (Spoiler alert! "Speedy thing goes in - speedy thing comes out!" Oh, GLaDOS, you're so adorable...) and you get a super-computer that's promising you cake.

(Also for all those clueless, the line "The cake is a lie" is, indeed from the game. There are certain walls on which this phrase can be discovered. ^^)


Moving on to my personal experience with the game. This will contain some spoilers, so if you're scared of those, read them AFTER YOU PLAY THE FREAKING GAME. xD
I loved it. So much. Partially because it was puzzles, partially because the graphics are amazing for the time that it was made during, and partially because it's just so wonderfully written. But, honestly, the fun started after GLaDOS tried to throw you into that fire. I've always found the lab rooms to be so organized that it was much easier to process all the available options in the closed environment. When it came down to being outside the testing environment, I got a little lost in places. I'm clearly not as intelligent as I like to pretend I am. xD

The same actually applies for Portal 2, the wonderfully more-complicated sequel. Once you're out of the sterile testing rooms and on your own in gods-know-where, it's so much more difficult to figure out what the hell to do and where you're supposed to go. At least that's my opinion on the matter.



So, Portal. If you haven't played it, GO DO SO. If you have, but haven't played Portal 2 (which I will probably talk about separately) GO PLAY PORTAL 2. Also, I need people to play the co-op mode with, anyone up for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment